When I make tuna salad for my family of five they tend to go in hard the first day or two with crackers, lettuce cups, and/or sandwiches. By the time I get a chance to reach for the bowl, it’s generally just enough left over for a sandwich, and that’s just one…sandwich. For this reason, since it’s all I have, I tend to splurge in repurposing it to make it amazing! To be clear, this fav go-to sandwich of mine is no blue plate special. Now, I don’t typically partake in white bread, but my kryptonite just so happens to be that of the ever delicious sour dough loaf. Something about this soft, tangy, chewy-around-the-edges bread of heaven, takes me to my happy place! And it’s even better toasted, making it perfect for grilling. Load on the veggies and cheese and you have an amazing twist on a classic.
- 4-8 oz. of your favorite prepared tuna salad
- Approximately 2-4 oz. of Gruyere/Swiss (enough for 2 layers in the sandwich)
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Heat skillet on medium and add 1 tbsp butter
- Place 1/2 of the cheese onto the bread
- Scoop and spread tuna onto cheese layer
- Add tomato on top of tuna
- Add avocado on top of tomato
- Add spinach on top of the avocado
- Add remaining cheese
- Top with remaining bread slice
- Spread remaining butter on top of final bread slice
- Place built sandwich in the skillet
- Flip sandwich after approximately 4-5 minutes, or until toasty brown.
- Press sandwich down with the spatula, and let remain for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Plate sandwich and let rest for 2 minutes. Cut in half and serve.