As I tweeted this past week, the hubby and I attended Wednesday WindDown at Centennial Park here in Atlanta with my best friend and her usual crew for this event. The crowd was entertaining, the jazz was smoking, and the atmosphere was electrifying. The Hotlanta sun even had mercy on our souls and allowed a breeze to join us in the fun. I mean, this is absolutely the best way to bring any day of the week to a close.
Now the group we joined came equipped with everything needed for the evening. From designer chairs and blankets to the food and drink. Two particular food items- shrimp and some sort of blablackeyed pea salsa(I’m thinking a southern caviar) specifically struck my fancy and are what inspired me to create this dish. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
So that was Wednesday evening. I came up with this tonight:
ACAOF’s Roasted Herb Shrimp w/ Warm ‘My Garden’ Vegetable Blackeyed Pea Salad
– 2 cups cooked blackeyed peas (canned is fine- but wash thoroughly!)
– 1 lb cleaned shrimp, raw (medium to large-sized)
– 1 tbsp chervil (parsley is fine)
– 3 tbsp vegetable oil
– Cooking spray
– 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
– 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
– 1 cup grape and/or cherry tomatoes, diced (from my garden!!)
– 1 cucumber, diced (from my garden!! But the ones I grow are yellow!)
– 2 whole scallions/green onions, chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 1 tsp hot sauce
– 2 tsp AbstractSpice
– Preheat oven to BROIL
– In a bowl, add peas, vegetables, 2 tbsp oil, garlic, and AbstractSpice and mix- set aside.
– In a separate bowl, add shrimp, 1 tbsp oil, chervil, salt and pepper.
– Lay herb shrimp flat on a baking sheet (line with foil for easy clean up)
– Spray a pan/skillet with cooking spray and place on med-high heat for pea salad.
– Put herb shrimp in oven.
– Add pea salad to hot pan/skillet folding occasionally not to break up the peas or tomatoes for 4 minutes.
– Reduce to medium heat untouched for approximately 3 minutes.
– Make sure shrimp is thoroughly pink (after approx 8 minutes) and remove from oven.
– Plate pea salad and top with herb shrimp.
– Squeeze fresh lemon on top pack it up and meet me at Wednesday WindDown!
Make it a Great Winddown Tasting Night!