Proof of the Pudding always does an awesome job catering an event I attend annually at Spa Sydell every Spring. The items they serve are so fitting for a spa retreat: delicious scones, chicken salad croissants, mini sandwiches of sliced pork on pretzel bread with cranberry chutney, and phenomenal dips and spreads accompanied with toastpoints and a variety of gourmet chips. But there was one spread in particular that blew my mind! It was a herbed goat cheese spread with fresh rosemary. So simple, yet so refreshing and delicious. The spread itself had ‘punch’ which is why a simple toastpoint/baguette was a fitting surface fitting for this incredible spread.
So here’s my take on it! I can make the spread from above, however, goat cheese tends to get a little pricey so I made a slight substitution. I opted for a just as flavorful cheese, feta, which is a tad less pricey. I also added a slight health ‘punch’ at the same time with the greek yogurt. The contrast with these two spreads also lies in the seasoning/salt level so I decided on a more flavorful canvas of cracker- Trader Joe’s ‘Everything’ crackers- similar to my absolute fav bagel in the world just smaller and crisper 🙂
This Herbed Feta Cheese Spread is ideal for Spring/Summer time snacking as an appetizer for a cocktail party or a great snack just for you while watching the tube.
ACAOF’s Herbed Feta Cheese Spread
Here’s what I used:
– 1 cup or package of feta crumbles
– 1/3 cup greek yogurt
– 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tsp of kosher or sea salt
– 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
– 2 tbsp fresh herb variety (rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme, tarragon) OR 1 tbsp if using dried herbs
[these are merely options- feel free to add or just use a single herb]
– 2 tsp garlic powder
– 2 tsp onion powder
Here’s what I did:
– In a suitable sized bowl, combine yogurt and feta
– With a fork, break down the feta in the yogurt to very small crumbles (it’s ok to have some larger crumbles)
– Mix until bumpy, yet creamy (feel free to use a small mixer/processor for a creamier texture)
– Add in salt, pepper, and garlic/onion powder- mix thoroughly
– Add herbs and mix thoroughly
– Add olive oil and mix thoroughly
– Trader Joe’s Everything crackers
– Multigrain crackers
– Fresh veggies
– OR even spread on french bread and broil until browned for a twist to garlic bread!
Make it a Great Cheese-Spread Tasting Day!