Like majority of my dishes, I thought this one up based on what I had in the fridge. I do my best cooking that way, lol! This turned out so delicious and tender due to the acid from the orange as a natural tenderizer.
**Leeks are are wonderful vegetable that tastes like a cross between a cabbage and an onion**
Try this sunday with a side of wild grain rice mixed with English peas- don’t forget the delicious leeks stuffed inside!!
What you’ll need:
– 1 whole chicken
– 1 large leek (washed and drained of all sand and grit)
– the juice of 1 orange
– 2 tsp orange zest
– butter flavored cooking spray
– canola oil
– 1 tbsp minced garlic
– kosher or sea salt/pepper
– *AbstractSpice or any other all-natural house seasoning on hand
Here’s what I did:
– Preheat oven to 400
– Coarsely chop cleaned leeks and thoroughly mix in a bowl with: 3 tbsp canola oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, orange zest, 2 tsp salt and pepper.
– Clean chicken thoroughly making sure all gizzards and livers are removed completely from the cavity of the bird.
– Spray entire outside of chicken with cooking spray
– Season entire outside chicken with *AbstractSpice/handy house seasoning
– Stuff chicken with leek mixture
– Cover with foil and place bird in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and squeeze the juice of previously zested orange on chicken and return to oven uncovered, reducing heat to 350 for an additional 15- 20 minutes until chicken is medium-browned.
*If concerned about doneness of a chicken, make a small cut between the leg and thigh or wing and breast of the chicken and the juices should run clear. If not, return to oven until juices run clear.*
Make it a Great Roasted Chicken tasting Day!